Rivers Native Soup is a delicacy from the people of Rivers State in the Niger Delta Area of Nigeria. These are the riverine people that use the freshest seafood to prepare expensive soups and meals.
It is not compulsory to break a bank to prepare this soup if you are not a fisherman or have the funds. You can cut down on some of the ingredients but whatever you do, make sure you add clams because it adds a lot of flavour to this soup.
Ingredients for Rivers Native Soup
- 3 medium fresh fish
- 9 snails
- 2 cups clams
- 1 cup sea snails
- ½ cup periwinkles
- 1 cup shrimps
- 6 medium cocoyams
- 1 tablespoon uziza seeds (false cubeb)
- 1-2 yellow habanero peppers
- 2 big stock cubes
- Bitter leaves (washed)
- 5 Uziza leaves (false kubeb)
- 2 cooking spoons (¼ cup) red palm oil
Before You Prepare
1. Shell the clams, snails, sea snails and periwinkles and remove the intestines. In Nigerian markets, the sellers can do these for you.
2. For the snails, you need to remove the slime after removing the shell.
3. Cook the cocoyam till soft. Peel and pound till smooth with a mortar and pestle. You can also blend with a power blender or food processor.
4. Grind/pound the yellow pepper.
5. Grind the uziza seeds with a spice grinder.
6. Slice the uziza leaves.
7. Cut up the fish and clean.
How To Prepare
1. Place the snails in a pot, add the seasoning cubes, pour water to cover and cook for 20 minutes.
2. Add ground uziza, the clams, sea snails, shrimps and fish, top up the water if necessary and cook till the fish is done.
3. Take out the fish from the pot and set aside.
4. Add the cocoyam in small lumps. Add the bitter leaves, yellow pepper and palm oil.
5. Cover and cook till the lumps of cocoyam dissolve. Stir the contents of the pot very often.
6. Add salt to taste.
7. Add the fish back into the pot of soup. Stir, cover and let it simmer.
This simple video will also help you as you prepare this delicacy.